These brain teaser questions will challenge some of the best students of the English language! Solve them on your own or with a friend. They're great for the family dinner hour, too! Teachers, see our suggestions at the bottom of the page for using them with your students.
Please note that while we've provided our answers, you may have found additional correct answers as well.
Here’s how you can
change the word DOG to CAT by changing just one letter at time:
DOG, DOT, COT, CAT
1. Change DUCK to DEER in the same way, in 4 steps. Be sure to spell real words each time.
2. Change MEAT to MILK in 6 steps or less.MEAT, MELT, WELT, WILT, SILT, SILK, MILK
3. Change LIFE to BOAT in 6 steps or less.
4. List 4 or more words that use the letter i more than twice.
5. List 4 or more words with letters eau.
6. List 20 or more occupations that do not end in or, er, or ar.
7. List 15 or more words that are spelled with at least 8 letters that start and end with the letter r.
8. Can you also list 3 words of 8 or more letters that begin with r, end with r, and have at least one r in between?
9. List at least 10 words that contain the letter pair rh.
10. Without using a dictionary, list 6 words that come between laughter and law alphabetically.
Spell a BIRD using only letters in the name of each city. You do not need to use all the letters, and you may change the order of the letters.
11. RACELAND (Louisiana)
12. CALIFORNIA (Missouri)
13. HACKETTSTOWN (New Jersey)
Spell a FOOD using only letters in the name of each city. You do not need to use all the letters, and you may change the order of the letters.
14. BRANDENBURG (Kentucky)
15. CRELLIN (Maryland)
We also have easier brain
often enjoy collecting and writing their own brain teaser questions.
Why not start a collection of original questions? See all of our Level 1 and Level 2 brain teasers.
Here are ideas for
using brain teasers in the classroom:
101 Word Play Puzzlers Discover the FUN of letters & words as you solve each unique puzzle. Great vocabulary & spelling practice!
AnyWord Spelling Practice Series Fun Worksheets, games & prompts that work with almost ANY spelling words!
Spelling Bee Toolboxes for Grades 3/5 and 6/8 All the resources you need for a successful bee! On Sale!
New! Young Spellers Spelling Bee Word List for Grades 1 & 2
Monumental Spelling Bee Lists with definitions, sentences and language of origin
Colossal Spelling Bee Word Lists Definitions, parts of speech & sentences included for 600 words, at two levels
100 Difficult Spelling Bee Words, Definitions & Sentences Our toughest lists, for upper grades and adults!
The Gigantic Spelling Bee Words & Sentences in 3 volumes.
600 Spelling Bee Words & Sentences for Gr 3/5 & 6/8 Extra words & sentences at two levels