Hard spelling bee words are challenging -- and FUN -- to learn! We have lots on our website. Start with this list of 25 words and meanings, then check out the links at the bottom of the page to find more.
1. questionnaire - noun: a list of questions; survey
2. unconscious - adjective: not conscious; without awareness
3. precocious - adjective: unusually mature, especially in mental development
4. liaison - noun: a person who maintains a connection between people or groups
5. surveillance - noun: continuous observation of a person, place, or activity in order to gather information
6. chrysanthemum - noun: a widely cultivated plant with brightly-colored showy flower heads
7. idiosyncrasy - noun: a tendency, habit or mannerism that is peculiar to an individual; a quirk
8. chauffeur - noun: a person hired to drive a private automobile or limousine
9. onomatopoeia - noun: the formation of a word by imitation of a sound of the noise or action described, such as hiss, honk, or meow.
10. conscientious- adjective: careful, particular, taking great care
11. demitasse - noun: small coffee cup
12. vengeance - noun: punishment inflicted for a wrong done to oneself or another person; revenge
13. prospicience - noun: the act of looking forward; foresight
14. acquiesce - verb: to accept as inevitable; to comply passively
15. malfeasance - noun: conduct by a public official that violates the public trust or is against the law
16. irascible - adjective: irritable, quick-tempered
17. antediluvian - adjective: 1. of or relating to the period before the Biblical flood 2. old-fashioned; antiquated
18. foudroyant - adjective: sudden and overwhelming; stunning
19. eudemonic - adjective: pertaining to conducive to happiness
20. logorrhea - noun: excessive and often incoherent talkativeness
21. pterodactyl - noun: any of various extinct flying reptiles, having no feathers
22. stichomythia - noun: dialogue, especially a dispute, delivered in alternating lines
23. feuilleton - noun: part of a European newspaper or magazine with content designed to entertain the reader
25. milquetoast - noun: a timid, unassertive, or apologetic person
25. chrematistic - adjective: of or relating to making money
...then please check out my collections of 100 Difficult Spelling Bee Words and definitions! These are perfect for adult spelling bees or the final words of school competitions. Read all the details!
You may also be interested in these spelling bee word lists:
Here are more lists that you can use when compiling your own list of hard spelling bee words:
7th grade spelling words - 300 words that provide practice in important grade-level words.
8th grade spelling words - 250 challenging words for the growing vocabularies of junior high students
9th grade spelling words - 200 words, tough enough to challenge most adults!
See all the word lists on this page of Difficult English Spelling Words.
Spelling Bee Toolboxes for Grades 3/5 and 6/8 All the resources you need for a successful bee! On Sale!
Monumental Spelling Bee Lists with definitions, sentences and language of origin
Colossal Spelling Bee Word Lists Definitions, parts of speech & sentences included for 600 words, at two levels
100 Difficult Spelling Bee Words, Definitions & Sentences Our toughest lists, for upper grades and adults!
Young Spellers Spelling Bee Word List for Grades 1 & 2
The Gigantic Spelling Bee Words & Sentences in 3 volumes.
600 Spelling Bee Words & Sentences for Gr 3/5 & 6/8 Extra words & sentences at two levels