This sixth grade vocabulary practice page includes this observation:
"It seems that everyone LEAVES just when it's time to rake the LEAVES."
Your students will complete eighteen similar sentences by choosing the correct multiple-meaning word. Some are very challenging!
In each sentence, think of one word that makes sense in both blanks.
1. A colorful ___________ was painted on the head of the ____________ drum.
2. The traveler decided to _____________ his dessert in the ______________.
3. While making _________, Sara ran out of sugar, putting her in a real __________.
4. I was sitting too _____________ to the door to be able to _______________ it.
5. Crazy as it sounds, the overworked farmer decided to teach his _____________ to help him ____________ his seeds.
6. The dentist gave her patient a ______________ of injections which made his jaw even _______________.
7. We all hoped that the off-key singer would ______________ from singing the ______________.
8. When Grandma found a ___________ in her favorite quilt, she shed a ___________.
9. The psychologist had to ________________ his _______________ to several tests.
10. I was unable to ______________ the large ______________ on the heavy trunk.
11. The landfill was so full that its owner had to _____________ more _____________.
12. We love to __________________ _________________ in our garden!
13. The nurse _______________ a bandage around the _________________.
14. The president of the board asked to sit in a specific ____________ to ___________ the meeting.
15. The _____________ ______________ into the bushes when it heard a gunshot in the distance.
16. The principal did not _______________ to the teacher’s _______________ lesson.
17. Since there is no time like the present, I think it is time to ________________ you with my ___________________.
18. The author took a ______________ approach to writing the ______________.
Antonym Antics - Challenging page for sixth grade vocabulary practice or any upper grade. How long will it take you solve this worksheet?
Croaky Meets the Plumber and Extra Letters The first page features a crazy story about a frog and a plumber. The second worksheet has a puzzle-y twist. Both worksheets use words from our list of 300 sixth grade spelling words.
Wacky packages! - Students love to find others' mistakes, right? They'll enjoy finding the spelling errors on two whimsical boxes. There's a wacky board game and a package of waffles you don't want to eat! Great for grades 4-7.
Silent Letter Search: Word search fun! Students must add the correct silent letters and then locate the completed words in the puzzle. Best for grades 5-6.
We have lots of brain teasers for kids of all ages that offer unique, fun ways to practice spelling.
Words: Students identify correctly spelled
in a list and then find them
in a fun word search puzzle. Based on our fifth grade spelling word
list; suitable for
Cryptogram Worksheet: Puzzle page for upper grades. Includes instructions so students, parents or teachers can make more cryptogram puzzles with any word list.
Hard Word Search Puzzle and Mystery Scrambles: Two challenging worksheets to stretch spelling and vocabulary skills.
Check out our AnyWord Book Series! Three eBooks of fun worksheets, games and partner activities that you can use with Any Spelling Words!
In addition to sixth grade vocabulary practice, you may also be interested in:
Spelling Bee Resources - If you're planning a spelling bee competition, you won't want to miss our vast assortment of spelling bee aids!
50 Sets of Confusing Homonyms - Defined, explained and used in sentences. It's a great boost for your sixth grade vocabulary lessons.
Spelling Word Lists - Lots of lists for students in grades 1-9, as well as difficult words for upper grades and adults, all at your fingertips!
Spelling Skills - Upper elementary students hopefully have mastered
basic spelling rules, but they many still need review and practice in
these three important areas.
I'm always working on more spelling resources, so please visit again soon! If you see something you like, please tell another teacher or parent. If you don't see something you want, please tell me!
AnyWord Spelling Practice Series Fun Worksheets, games & prompts that work with almost ANY spelling words!
Spelling Bee Toolboxes for Grades 3/5 and 6/8 All the resources you need for a successful bee! On Sale!
Monumental Spelling Bee Lists with definitions, sentences and language of origin
Colossal Spelling Bee Word Lists Definitions, parts of speech & sentences included for 600 words, at two levels
100 Difficult Spelling Bee Words, Definitions & Sentences Our toughest list, for upper grades and adults!
The Gigantic Spelling Bee Words & Sentences in 3 volumes.
600 Spelling Bee Words & Sentences for Gr 3/5 & 6/8 Extra words & sentences at two levels
101 Word Play Puzzlers Discover the FUN of letters & words as you solve each unique puzzle. Great vocabulary & spelling practice!