Good old-fashioned spelling bee games can provide some fantastic spelling practice! The competitive nature of these games encourages kids to study hard and work together to produce a winning strategy.
Here are some new variations that will add extra fun and challenge to your spelling practice routine.
Yes, it's possible to spell silently -- with the help of some dry-erase boards, or even paper and pencil! I think you'll really like these!
1. Divide your class into two teams. Have each
team line up on opposite
sides of the classroom.
2. Give the first person in each team a dry-erase board and marker (or a clean sheet of paper and pencil).
3. Announce the first word to be spelled.
All team members are to remain silent
as the first player on each team writes the spelling word.
5. The player passes the board to the second player. He is allowed to keep the word as is, or to correct it.
6. When the teacher calls time, the second person on each team reveals the spelling of the word to everyone.
7. The teacher awards 1 point for every correct
8. For the next spelling word, the player with the board passes it to the third player on the team. Play continues in the same manner.
9. At the end of the time period, the winning team is the one with the most points.
This time, ask the first person in each team to write only the first letter of the word on the dry-erase board. She then hands the board to the second player who adds the next letter, and so on.
When a team member has added the last letter to the word, the next person on the team checks it. He may leave the word as is, or correct any or all of the letters in it.
You'll want to give your students as much
practice as possible before big spelling competitions. Here are some
resources that can help:
We've compiled a list of spelling bee practice ideas for individual students. A printable version is included for your convenience.
Use our basic spelling bee rules to run your next classroom spelling competition. We cover the basics in a concise list.
Don't miss our lists of spelling bee words, for grades 3-8.
To conduct your own school spelling bee, consider using our Spelling Bee Toolboxes.
They contain all the resources you need for a successful spelling bee!
Spelling Bee Toolboxes for Grades 3/5 and 6/8 All the resources you need for a successful bee! On Sale!
Monumental Spelling Bee Lists with definitions, sentences and language of origin
Colossal Spelling Bee Word Lists Definitions, parts of speech & sentences included for 600 words, at two levels
100 Difficult Spelling Bee Words, Definitions & Sentences Our toughest lists, for upper grades and adults!
Young Spellers Spelling Bee Word List for Grades 1 & 2
The Gigantic Spelling Bee Words & Sentences in 3 volumes.
600 Spelling Bee Words & Sentences for Gr 3/5 & 6/8 Extra words & sentences at two levels
AnyWord Spelling Practice Series Fun Worksheets, games & prompts that work with almost ANY spelling words!
101 Word Play Puzzlers Discover the FUN of letters & words as you solve each unique puzzle. Great vocabulary & spelling practice!