Try this new twist on the traditional classroom spelling bee game. Students will be rooting for their teammates as they inch their way forward to victory. Your students are sure to love it!
If your students are preparing for a spelling bee, this is a fun way to give them extra practice in spelling aloud. Even if your students are not headed into a big competition, it's a great way to add variety to your spelling practice routine anytime of year!
your students into 3 teams. It's okay if teams do not have
the same number of students.
2. Clear a large space in which students can stand. Each team should stand in a single-file line.
3. Make 4 lines on the floor with masking tape for each team as shown here. Place the lines about one foot apart.
Students stand behind the last line of masking tape.
4. To begin the game, call out the first word for the first player on Team 1 to spell.
You may also want to try these spelling bee games!
5. If the player spells the word correctly, she steps up to stand on the first line of tape, and the entire team moves forward. If she does not spell the word correctly, she moves to the back of her team, and the team does not move forward.
6. Call out a word for Team 2 and continue in the same manner.
7. Each time a word is spelled correctly, the entire team moves forward one line.
8. The winning team is the first one to reach the last line of tape.
9. Play several rounds as time allows.
You'll want to give your students as much
practice as possible before big spelling competitions. Here are some
resources that can help:
We've compiled a list of spelling bee practice ideas for individual students. A printable version is included for your convenience.
Here are some fun new spelling bee quiz ideas! Pick your favorite from this set of ideas, and try it out this week!
Use our basic spelling bee rules to run your next classroom spelling competition. We cover the basics in a concise list.
Don't miss our lists of spelling bee words, for grades 3-8.
To conduct your own school spelling bee, consider using our Spelling Bee Toolboxes. They contain all the resources you need for a successful spelling bee!
Think-a-Spell eBook: 365 Brain Teasers and Spelling Challenges for Ages 10 to Adult
300 Spelling Bee Words by Grade Level, with definitions, sentences and languages
Spelling Bee Toolboxes for Grades 3/5 and 6/8 All the resources you need for a successful bee!
Mammoth Spelling Bee Word Lists with sentences, definitions, and languages
Monumental Spelling Bee Word Lists with definitions, sentences and languages
Young Spellers Spelling Bee Word List for Grades 1 & 2
100 Difficult Spelling Bee Words, Definitions & Sentences My toughest lists, for upper grades and adults!
600 Spelling Bee Words & Sentences for Gr 3/5 & 6/8 Extra words & sentences at two levels
AnyWord Spelling Practice Series Fun Worksheets, games & prompts that work with almost ANY spelling words!
101 Word Play Puzzlers Discover the FUN of letters & words as you solve each unique puzzle. Great vocabulary & spelling practice!