You can use many different types of spelling bee quizzes to help your students prepare for upcoming spelling competitions. Here are a few great options for you to try this week!
This kind of spelling bee quiz is super-simple, and you can do it when you have only a few minutes of spare time during the school day. Here's how it works:
1) Choose a list of spelling words from your own curriculum, from one of my lists, or from a dictionary.
2) While students are all seated, call on any one student and pronounce the word you'd like him/her to spell.
3) If the word is spelled correctly, move on to another student with a new spelling word. If the word is spelled incorrectly, ask all students to write that word in their personal spelling lists while you spell it correctly aloud.
4) Do this activity frequently, so students become used to spelling words aloud, without knowing what words they'll be asked.
Here are two very different spelling bee quizzes to try. It's good to use a variety of methods to keep your students on their toes. They may even have a bit of fun!
1) Announce a surprise dictionary quiz. Ask students to number a half-sheet of paper from 1 to 10. Pull a classroom dictionary from the shelf and open it to a random page. Quickly, but carefully, scan the left and right pages and choose ten words that students may or may not know. Choose some words that they are likely to know and few that they probably don't know. Call out those ten words. Then have each student check his/her own paper for the right answers. Students should record the correct spelling of any words they missed in their person spelling word lists.
Variation: Choose a student to act as the "teacher" for the quiz above.
2) Write two spellings of the same word on the board. (See my sample words below.) Ask students to write only the correct spellings on their papers. To check their work, ask students to come to the board to erase the wrong answer. See if students agree. Again, any missed words should be written in students' personal word list.
Here are are sample word lists, written for three different grade levels.
You may also want to try these online spelling bee quizzes:
Step Up is a fun spelling bee team game. When all the team members spell correctly, the team moves ahead. It can be used with any set of spelling bee words and can be used with most grades.
Silent Spelling Bee Games It's a whole different game when students are working silently! We think you'll like this twist.