These free spelling tests cover 20 tough, frequently misspelled words. How well will you score?
Try Test #1 first, then try some even more difficult words on Test #2!
Read the definition and example sentence for each word. Decide which of the possible spellings is the correct one. Check your answers at the bottom when you've finished.
Here's a quick peek at the first test. The full versions of both tests can be found below.
1. Definition: to an adequate degree
Sentence: Our pool is ____ full of water to go swimming
A) sufficiently B) sufficently
2. Definition: that which is selected; choice
Sentence: Which is your _____ , tea or coffee?
A) preferrence B) preference
3. Definition: kindheartedly
Sentence: Mary ____ offered to help Helen care for her sick young child.
A) sympatheticly B) sympathetically
4. Definition: lodging
Sentence: Betsy needs to find ____ for her lengthy visit to Washington, D.C.
A) accomodations B) accommodations
5. Definition: a type of extinct flying reptile
Sentence: Scientists were pleased to find the remains of a large ____.
A) pterodactyl B) pteradactile
6. Definition: large, luxurious automobile driven by a chauffeur
Sentence: The business owner always travels to meetings in a ____.
A) limosine B) limousine
7. Definition: to treat a person with a vaccine to promote immunity to a disease
Sentence: The doctor said he would ____ us against certain diseases before we traveled abroad.
A) inoculate B) innoculate
8. Definition: to talk or think about things that happened in the past
Sentence; Grandma loves to ____ and tell me about events from her childhood.
A) reminicse B) reminisce
9. Definition: the act of singing along to a music video, especially when the original vocals have been removed
Sentence: Even though none of us are good singers, we all like to meet for ___ on Thursday nights.
A) kariokee B) karaoke
10. Definition: able to use both hands equally well
Sentence: Because she is ______, Ann can write notes with either her left or right hand.
A) ambidextrous B) ambidextrus
Now try the second of our free spelling tests, using the same instructions.
1. Definition: causing feelings of disgust; repugnant
Sentence; The impoverished family lived on the street in ____ conditions
A) loathesome B) loathsome
2. Definition: a shrub with showy clusters of white, pink or bluish flowers
Sentence: Maureen used several blooms from her ____ to make a lovely flower arrangement.
A) hydrangea B) hydrangia
3. Definition: not able to be predicted or anticipated
Sentence: The April blizzard was an ____ event.
A) unforseeable B) unforeseeable
4. Definition: surroundings, especially one's social environment
Sentence: The artist's urban murals are a reflection of his childhood ____.
A) milieu B) mileiu
5. Definition: a dramatic form of discourse in which a character talks to himself
Sentence: In a ____, the actor may be revealing his thoughts to the audience, but not to the other actors.
A) soliloquey B) soliloquy
6. Definition: to grow together or unite into one body
Sentence: The two political groups are so similar that they will ____ to become more effective.
A) coalesce B) coaless
7. Definition: displaying shining colors that produce rainbow effects
Sentence: The large soap bubbles displayed beautiful, ____ colors.
A) irridescent B) iridescent
8. Definition: of little value or importance
Sentence: Let's not bicker about such a ____ amount of money!
A) picayune B) pickeyune
9. Definition: a dish of meat cut into pieces and stewed in a white sauce
Sentence: Grandma serves her famous chicken ____ with biscuits and salad.
A) fricassee B) friccasee
10. Definition: infinitely small
Sentence: Because of the ____ amount of toxins in the water, it was deemed safe for drinking.
A. infintisimal B. infinitesimal
Be sure to check the links in the right hand column to find more free spelling tests and quizzes!
101 Word Play Puzzlers Discover the FUN of letters & words as you solve each unique puzzle. Great vocabulary & spelling practice!
AnyWord Spelling Practice Series Fun Worksheets, games & prompts that work with almost ANY spelling words!
Spelling Quizzes from the Evening News - 4 fun spelling exercises. Can your students find and correct all the mistakes in these news reports?
Spelling Bee "Pop" Quizzes - Fun ways for your students to prepare for the big spelling bee ahead.
Online Spelling Bee Game - Test your knowledge of some challenging spelling words with threse free spelling tests. What score will you earn?
Here's another fun spelling bee quiz you're sure to love!
Spelling Test Games - Use these fun classroom ideas with any spelling words!