9th Grade Vocabulary &
idea for boosting 9th grade vocabulary and spelling skills that you can
use anytime throughout the year, with any words.
students can even
help create the 9th grade
This activity asks students to do two things:
- Choose the correct spelling of some tricky words AND
- Choose the correct usage of those words.
To create this activity:
- Make a list of 10-15 words that you want students to
- Write each word correctly and incorrectly in a word box on
the board or on a worksheet.
- Write a sentence that uses each word correctly, but omit
the vocabulary word.
Here's an example of words and sentences you might use, with words from our list of 9th
grade spelling words.
1. The negotiations between the workers and the owners came to
2. A deep _________ separated the rescuers from the stranded
3. The ____________ provided great protection for the
4. A driving rainstorm was a serious ________ to the ambulance
5. The advertiser's claim about the benefits of the diet
program proved to be a huge _________________.
6. It takes a ________________ hand to operate this delicate
1. impasse 2.chasm 3. citadel 4. hindrance 5. exaggeration 6.
How can students help?
I'm so glad you asked!
- First come up with a master list of about 100 words you
students to practice during the year.
- Then assign about 4 or 5 words from your list to each
students to thoroughly research each of his words so that he is able to
use it correctly in a sentence.
- Next, ask students write a good sentence for each of his
including both the correct answer and a possible incorrect spelling.
- Then collect each student's work. Group
sentences into sets of 10-12 sentences each. For each set,
create one worksheet or board work assignment to practice one portion
9th grade vocabulary wor list. Place all the words and
alternate spellings for each set in a word box, and write the sentences
You'll have enough material to make up to 10 worksheets,
and your main jobs have been only to organize and type/write the
Two BIG benefits:
- Students learn a lot of words throughout the year.
- You provide meaningful 9th grade vocabulary and spelling
limited amounts of your own time spent.
Other helpful resources:
Vocabulary and Spelling Boosters
Vocabulary and Spelling Practice
Challenging Worksheets for Spelling Practice
English Spelling Word Lists