Our phonemic awareness games are simple to use and fun to
Just read the rules below, and click on the printable link to get started on one of our fun, easy-to-use games.
sounds: b, d, f, m
Grade level: preK-1
Objective: Be the first player to reach END
Supplies: Printable game board, answer key, and cards; one marker for each player
Preparation: Print the board, key and cards. Laminate and cut apart. Shuffle the cards and place them face down on the table. Review the name for each with the players.
1. Players put their markers on START.
2. The first player draws the top card. He moves his marker to the first picture with the same beginning sound. For example, if he draws M, he moves to the mushroom. He puts his card face down in a discard pile. The other players continue in the same manner.
3. When a player draws the duck or the fish (the cards with no letters), he moves his marker to that space, even if he must move backwards.
4. If no one has reached END when the game cards run out, shuffle, restack, and reuse them.
5. To move into the END space a player must draw D or F.
6. The first player to END is the winner of the round.
We know that the best spellers are usually kids who start early to develop good phonics skills. We have several games on our site to help you help your child develop these skills, including the one on this page. There's no reading required.
Picture This - short vowel sounds
If you enjoyed our phonemic awareness games, we think you'll also like some of these:
Printables - 2 super-simple worksheets
letters b, c, d, f, g, and h as initial consonants
Phonics Worksheet - Here's more practice with initial consonants. This page features j, k and l.
Rhyme Time Two cute printables to give early learners practice in identifying rhyming words with short and long vowel sounds.
Lots of Leaves! - Students will discern long and short vowel phonics sounds as they complete this appealing page.
Short vowel Worksheets - 5 easy worksheets to practice the short vowel sounds for a, e, i, o and u.
Fun Spelling Worksheets for Grades 1/2 50 All-new reproducible pages for early learners!
AnyWord Spelling Practice Series Worksheets, games & prompts that work with almost ANY spelling words!
Spelling Bee Toolboxes for Grades 3/5 and 6/8 All the resources you need for a successful bee! On Sale!
New! Monumental Spelling Bee Lists with definitions, sentences and language of origin
Colossal Spelling Bee Word Lists Definitions, parts of speech & sentences included for 600 words, at two levels
100 Difficult Spelling Bee Words, Definitions & Sentences Our toughest list, for upper grades and adults!
600 Spelling Bee Words & Sentences for Gr 3/5 & 6/8 Extra words & sentences at two levels