Are you looking for some new third grade games for your spelling class? If so, we think you'll like this idea!
You can play this game again and again with new word parts.
graders are ready and eager to read, write and spell all sorts of
compound words. This fun activity can be played with a large group of
students, or with the entire class. Give it a try!
Key Spelling Concept: When forming compound words, do not change the spelling of either word. Simply put them together.
1. First you'll need a set of word cards. Use 3" x 5" index cards, Write a different word on each one. Be sure you have enough cards so that each student can have one. Use words that are commonly part of compound words, such as:
2. Pass out
the word cards.
3. Call one student to the front of the class. Ask him to read his word
and write it on the board.
4. Ask all students who think they have a word that can form a compound word with the first word to come to the front. Have them write the compound word that can be formed.
5. Ask the
students who are in their seats to confirm:
A) If the words are actual words, and
B) If the words are spelled correctly.
6. All students should copy the words from the board onto their own list. Or, you can start a giant word wall of compound words.
7. Select another student to come to the front with her word. Repeat the process until most words have been formed.
Here are a few of the words that can be spelled with our list: outfield, bookend, headlight, sidewalk, somebody.
Note: Compound words will be written more than once. For example, when any is written on the board, anything can be formed. When thing is on the board, the student with any may return to the front and spell anything again. Repeating words in this way is great practice!
Spelling games online
- Let your third graders correct our mistakes.
25 sentences in all, featuring many words from our 2nd and 3rd grade
spelling word lists. A fun way to practice and review!
Double the Fun - To double or not to double the final consonant when adding a suffix? Another great game for 3rd grade spelling fun!
Spelling Bee Games - Try one of our new Silent Spelling Bee variations. A fun--and quiet--twist on a classic game!
Another Spelling Bee Game - Students step up to victory as they help their team advance in this fun new game.
AnyWord Spelling Practice Series Fun Worksheets, games & prompts that work with almost ANY spelling words!
Spelling Bee Toolboxes for Grades 3/5 and 6/8 All the resources you need for a successful bee! On Sale!
Monumental Spelling Bee Lists with definitions, sentences and language of origin
Colossal Spelling Bee Word Lists Definitions, parts of speech & sentences included for 600 words, at two levels
100 Difficult Spelling Bee Words, Definitions & Sentences Our toughest lists, for upper grades and adults!
Young Spellers Spelling Bee Word List for Grades 1 & 2
The Gigantic Spelling Bee Words & Sentences in 3 volumes.
600 Spelling Bee Words & Sentences for Gr 3/5 & 6/8 Extra words & sentences at two levels