Spelling Baseball is one of the most popular word spelling games I know! You can provide fun spelling practice with this game again and again as you update your spelling review word list.
Keep reading for a complete explanation of the game rules. Then see my list of sample spelling words suitable for use with students in about grades 4-5.
1. Draw a baseball diamond on a dry-erase board.
2. Choose an emcee and a scorekeeper. The emcee reads the spelling words. The scorekeeper keeps track of base runners, runs, and outs.
3. Divide the players into two teams.
4. Decide how many innings will be played.
5. The emcee reads a word to the first player on Team 1. It will be either a single, double, triple or HR, based on difficulty.
6. If the player spells the word correctly, the scorekeeper puts an X on the proper base. For instance, if the player answer a SINGLE correctly, the scorekeeper draws an X on first base.
7. If the player answers incorrectly, he makes an out.
8. The next player comes to bat. If he answers correctly, the scorekeeper advances the first base runner and adds another. Note: There are no stolen bases. Runners only advance as far as the batter. For example, suppose there is a runner on first base. The batter correctly answers a DOUBLE. The runner on first advances to third base, and the batter goes to second base.
9. Play continues until Team 1 has 3 outs.
10. Team 2 goes to bat for the bottom of the first inning.
11. The team with the most runs when the game ends is the winner.
You should use spelling words that are appropriate to the level of your students. Here is a sample list of spelling words that could be used for approximately 4th or 5th grade. It is very easy to adapt this game to any grade. Words are labeled S for Single, D for Double, T for Triple and HR for Home Run.
1. button - S
2. aunt - S
3. cousin - D
4. dawn - S
5. enough - T
6. caring - S
7. building - D
8. between - S
9. committee - HR
10. blown - S
11. depth - D
12. chance - S
13. banana - D
14. crooked - S
15. proper - S
16. abbreviation - HR
17. either - T
18. false - S
19. coin - S
20. forty - D
21. listen - S
22. monkey - S
23. nickel - D
24. guarantee - HR
25. action - S
26. hospital - D
27. circle - S
28. worse - S
29. cinnamon - T
30. occasion - HR
Free spelling activities for two players - "Shady Spelling" Printable game boards for two players.
Double the Fun - To double or not to double the final consonant when adding a suffix? Another great word spelling game!
Fifty-Fifty - Fun word game for kids. Older students earn points as they engage in word play and spelling fun.
Try our Online Spelling Game for Homonym Practice! Best for upper elementary, middle school, high school students and even adults. Fun and easy to use.
Spelling Bee Toolboxes for Grades 3/5 and 6/8 All the resources you need for a successful bee! On Sale!
Monumental Spelling Bee Lists with definitions, sentences and language of origin
Colossal Spelling Bee Word Lists Definitions, parts of speech & sentences included for 600 words, at two levels
100 Difficult Spelling Bee Words, Definitions & Sentences Our toughest list, for upper grades and adults!
600 Spelling Bee Words & Sentences for Gr 3/5 & 6/8 Extra words & sentences at two levels