Word games for kids are one of the best ways to reinforce spelling skills. Games provide a nice change of pace for everyone!
Here's a game that works well for kids who are old enough to enjoy some
word play. It's fun to play, and students will grades 4-8 will
catch on quickly!
Learning words in context is always a key part of spelling words well. In this game, note that when a student spells a new word, she must also be able to use it correctly in a sentence.
Spelling, word play, vocabulary
Grade level: 4-8
Supplies: Word cards, one standard die, answer key, paper and pencil to keep score.
1. Print out our word cards and laminate if you like. Or, make your own word cards. (Our cards contain words from our 4th-5th grade lists. It’s best to choose words that aren’t too long.) Print the answer key for the teacher to keep at her desk as a reference.
2. Cut out the cards, shuffle, and place face down on the table.
3. Player 1 turns over a card and rolls the die.
He tries to form a new word,
following these guidelines:
5. Each time a player forms a new word, he may rearrange the letters in the original word. Note: It is not always possible to form a new word. To earn points, the player must also use the new word correctly in a sentence.
6. Player 2 takes his turn in the same manner.
7. If a player is unable to form a new word following the guidelines above, he receives no points for that turn, and the other player takes his turn.
8. If a player draws LOSE A TURN, he does not make a new word on that turn.
9. If a player draws TAKE AN EXTRA TURN, he draws a word card, rolls a die, and earns points. Then he draws a second card, rolls and scores again.
10. The first player to score 50 points wins.
Player 1 draws the word QUIET and rolls a 3. He subtracts the E and spells QUIT. He says the sentence, I won't quit writing until I've finished the story. He receives 4 points.
Player 2 draws the word COUCH and rolls a 1. She adds an R and spells CROUCH. She says, I saw the cat crouch behind the tree and then pounce on the mouse. She receives 2 points.
Many of our games are adaptable to different grade levels. Try some this week!
AnyWord Spelling Practice Series Worksheets, games & prompts that work with almost ANY spelling words!
Fun Spelling Worksheets for Grades 1/2 50 All-new reproducible pages for early learners!
101 Word Play Puzzlers Discover the FUN of letters & words as you solve each unique puzzle. Great vocabulary & spelling practice!