Educational word games can be used to teach and reinforce important language skills. In the fun format of a game, students can "play" with words while they learn!
You'll need a Scrabble(TM) board and letter tiles to play this game.
a great game for two players to practice weekly
spelling words or review words. It works well for grades 2 - 5.
sort Scrabble letter tiles into two piles, vowels
and consonants. Place some Ys in each pile.
2. One player is the "vowel player." He gets the vowel tiles. The other player is the "consonant player." She gets the consonant tiles.
3. Give each player a list of words you want them to practice.
4. Each player selects any three words from the list.
5. With the Scrabble board between the two players, each player lays out the consonants or the vowels for the three words chosen. Here is how the consonant player's portion of the board might look for the words build, agree, and crowd.
Players turn the board so that the words are now facing the opposite
player. The "vowel player" now adds vowels to the words
by the "consonant player" and vice versa.
7. The first player to complete all three words correctly wins one point. Note: Sometimes multiple words can be formed. Accept any correctly-spelled words. For example, c r _ _ d could be completed as crowd or creed.
8. Students should play several rounds, taking turns with the consonants and vowels.
9. The player with the most points at the end of the allowed time is the winner.
Mumbo-Jumbo - Here's another fun spelling word game to play on a Scrabble game board. For grades 2 - 5.
We have LOTS of free educational word games here at Spelling Words Well. See the entire collection, or check out just a few here:
Double the Fun - To double or not to double the final consonant when adding a suffix? Another great game for spelling fun! For grades 3 - 5.
Spelling Bee Games - Try one of our new Silent Spelling Bee variations. A fun--and quiet--twist on a classic game! For grades 2-6.
Missing Letters and In Between - Two super-simple ways for students to practice spelling, develop their vocabulary and practice dictionary skills. Grades 4 - 8.
Fifty-Fifty - Fun word game for kids. Older students earn points as they engage in word play and spelling fun. Grades 4 - 8.
For more fun spelling practice, try our AnyWord Spelling Practice Series. In these three eBooks, you'll find word play worksheets, writing prompts and partner games and activities that work with almost any list of spelling words!
101 Word Play Puzzlers Discover the FUN of letters & words as you solve each unique puzzle. Great vocabulary & spelling practice!