Here's a great assortment of 4th grade writing prompts! Your students will like to write about some wacky, and also some fairly realistic situations. While their creativity is flowing, they'll also be practicing important language skills and spelling words!
If you don't require the illustrated printable page, here is the text from this set of writing prompts:
1. You’ve been told that a famous person will be your bus driver this week. Who do you hope it will be? Why?
2. A calf mysteriously appears on your playground at recess. What do you and your friends decide to do?
3. What is your favorite chore at home or at school, and why?
4. Anita asks Adrian about… Finish this sentence using as many A words as possible.
5. I was walking to school yesterday. I am walking to the store today. I will be walking to the park tomorrow. Follow this pattern of past, present and future tense by writing three sentences using the verb agree.
6. Why is your dad carrying all of your school books for you this week? How does the week go for you? For your dad?
7. Something is broken, but you are not upset. What is it? Why aren’t you upset?
8. Whether or not you go to the museum is your choice. What do you choose and why?
9. Your grandmother meant to tell you something important today, but she forgot. What do you think it was?
10. You’re walking on a sidewalk near your home. It starts to move. Suddenly, you are no longer in your neighborhood. Where are you? How will you get home?
11. You’re helping your mom put groceries away. As you reach into a bag, something makes you scream and run. What’s in the grocery bag, and why do you run?
12. What are three good reasons for spending time outside?
AnyWord Writing Prompts - Here's a fun collection of original writing prompts that is perfect for middle grade students. They're also a simple way to provide some extra spelling practice! See these Creative Writing Worksheets which are sample pages from this eBook.
New! 4th Grade Lesson Plans - 25 spelling dictation sentences and full instructions. Use a few of these each week to provide students with extra practice in writing, spelling and using spelling words in context.