This fun assortment writing prompts for 3rd grade may be just what you need to get kids thinking, writing and spelling! Use one prompt at time, or hand out the entire set. This list contains 12 interesting fiction and non-fiction prompts.
See my suggestions below for using these prompts.
1. It’s Wrong Day at school. The right answers are wrong. If you sit in your normal seat, you are in the wrong seat. What else might happen?
2. If you joined the circus, what act would you like to do?
3. Once upon a time, there was a turtle named Tortellini. What happened?
4. In the morning, what sound do you most like to hear?
5. What things would you like to put on your mom’s shopping list, and why?
6. Pretend you live in a castle. What would you like to do to help the queen?
7. You finished in first place in a math contest. What prize were you given?
8. Suppose you ran really fast to get home from school as quickly as possible. Why would you do that?
9. Where is the best place in your house to eat dinner? Why?
10. Your aunt wants to sew a quilt for you. What color should it be? What designs would you like to have on it?
11. Do you like to wear socks that match? Why or why not?
12. A giant walked into your classroom. Other kids were afraid. But you were not. Why?
If you're looking for more writing prompts for 3rd grade and related resources, I recommend . . .
AnyWord Writing Prompts - Here's a fun collection of original writing prompts that is perfect for middle grade students. They're also a simple way to provide some extra spelling practice! See these Creative Writing Worksheets which are sample pages from this eBook.
Sentence Solvers and Excellent Excerpts - Great teaching ideas that help kids spell to write and read.
Story Puzzles and A Listening Lesson - Great ideas for 3rd-5th grade classrooms.
3rd Grade Vocabulary Words 200 words to boost your child's spoken and written language skills, arranged alphabetically! Print the complete list from the web page for best results. 100 of the words also appear in an engaging printable, arranged by helpful topics.