This fun assortment of 3rd grade writing prompts will set your young writers' minds in motion! You'll find a wide variety of both realistic and make-believe scenarios in this list.
See my suggestions below for using these prompts.
1. The doorbell rings, and you are very happy to hear someone’s voice. Whose voice is it? Why are you so happy?
2. Write short poem about a bear with a pear.
3. Every Wednesday, one person in your class gets to choose a special activity for everyone to do. What will you choose when it’s your turn? Why?
4. Your little sister is about to lose her first tooth. What advice will you give him?
5. What would happen if all the clocks stopped working at school?
6. You decide to make breakfast in bed for your dad. What will you fix for him?
7. What is the best way you could spend one dollar?
8. Your best friend walks up to you, smiles, and hands you a paper bag. Guess what is inside.
9. The third grade class will decide how to paint the hallways in your school. How do you think the walls should look?
10. What famous person do you wish lived on your street? Why?
11. What makes you laugh? Why?
12. Your family decides to go for one week without television and cell phones. What would you do?
Write one prompt at a time on the board, so that the entire class can write about the same one.
AnyWord Writing Prompts - Here's a fun collection of original writing prompts that is perfect for middle grade students. They're also a simple way to provide some extra spelling practice! See these Creative Writing Worksheets which are sample pages from this eBook.
New! 3rd Grade Activities - 25 spelling dictation sentences and full instructions. Use a few of these each week to provide students with extra practice in writing, spelling and using spelling words in context.
Sentence Solvers and Excellent Excerpts - Great teaching ideas that help kids spell to write and read.
Story Puzzles and A Listening Lesson - Great ideas for 3rd-5th grade classrooms.