This set of 12 second grade writing prompts will spur some great thinking and writing. Choose one, two or all twelve of these for your favorite second grader!
See my suggestions below for using these prompts. Make sure students understand that some of these prompts are about pretend situations, such as #1, 3, 4, 12 and others on this page.
1. What are three things a lion might say to a mouse?
2. What is the best thing about second grade?
3. Pretend that you keep a lock on a special box under your bed. What is in the box?
4. There is a giant panda in your swimming pool. What will you do?
5. There is a big hole in your yard. What will you see when you look down the hole?
6. What is your favorite book to read with a friend? why?
7. Draw a scribbly shape. Then pretend it is a new toy. What is it called? How do you play with it?
8. Your math book says that one plus one is three. When your teacher finds this mistake, what will happen?
9. Write a poem about wish made by a fish.
10. It will take a lot of time to finish your classroom chore today. What is it? Why will it take so long?
11. Name three healthful snacks.
12. Sam’s pet rabbit hops away for one hour every day. What do you think the rabbit does while it is gone?
A Fun Day: 1st grade reading and spelling worksheet - Give your students reading and spelling practice with this customized story. Grades 1-2.
My New Job: Another reading and spelling worksheet for your students to individualize. A fun way to gain language skills! Grades 1-2