This set of 12 second grade writing prompts will spur some great thinking and writing. Choose one, two or all twelve of these for your favorite second grader!
See my suggestions below for using these prompts. Make sure students understand that some of these prompts are about pretend situations, such as #1, 3, 4, 12 and others on this page.
1. What are three things a lion might say to a mouse?
2. What is the best thing about second grade?
3. Pretend that you keep a lock on a special box under your bed. What is in the box?
4. There is a giant panda in your swimming pool. What will you do?
5. There is a big hole in your yard. What will you see when you look down the hole?
6. What is your favorite book to read with a friend? why?
7. Draw a scribbly shape. Then pretend it is a new toy. What is it called? How do you play with it?
8. Your math book says that one plus one is three. When your teacher finds this mistake, what will happen?
9. Write a poem about wish made by a fish.
10. It will take a lot of time to finish your classroom chore today. What is it? Why will it take so long?
11. Name three healthful snacks.
12. Sam’s pet rabbit hops away for one hour every day. What do you think the rabbit does while it is gone?
NEW! Second grade lesson plans - 25 spelling dictation sentences and full instructions. Use a few of these each week to provide students with extra practice in writing, spelling and using spelling words in context.
2nd Grade Worksheets : A fun collection of printable worksheets for kids in second grade. Some pages will benefit kids a bit older or younger, so be sure to check them out! For grades 1-3.
2nd Grade Phonics Worksheets - "Finish the Word" and "Match the Word Endings" are two colorful pages for basic phonics practice