Use these 2nd grade writing prompts to get your early learners in the writing rhythm! They'll enjoy these age-appropriate prompts, based both on real-life situations and make-believe scenarios.
See my suggestions below for using these prompts. Make sure students understand that some of these prompts are about pretend situations, such as #1, 5, 8 and others on this page.
1. When might you not want to give your teacher a big, beautiful apple?
2. Name three things you should always do in the morning.
3. Draw a picture for a new stamp. Tell why you chose this picture.
4. What do you like about winter? What do you not like about winter?
5. Write a short poem about a goat with a boat.
6. What song would forest animals like to sing? Why?
7. What place would you like to visit with a friend? Why?
8. You have twelve of the world’s best cookies. Will you eat them or share them, or both? Why?
9. Make a list of things you would like to do next summer.
10. What does your pet lizard like to read?
11. You want to send a letter to your uncle. What will say to him?
12. I just made up a silly new game called Giggle Wriggle. What do you think happens in this game?
Second grade lesson plans - 25 spelling dictation sentences and full instructions. Use a few of these each week to provide students with extra practice in writing, spelling and using spelling words in context.
A Fun Day: 1st grade reading and spelling worksheet - Give your students reading and spelling practice with this customized story. Grades 1-2.
My New Job: Another reading and spelling worksheet for your students to individualize. A fun way to gain language skills! Grades 1-2