Use these 2nd grade writing prompts to get your early learners in the writing rhythm! They'll enjoy these age-appropriate prompts, based both on real-life situations and make-believe scenarios.
See my suggestions below for using these prompts. Make sure students understand that some of these prompts are about pretend situations, such as #1, 5, 8 and others on this page.
1. When might you not want to give your teacher a big, beautiful apple?
2. Name three things you should always do in the morning.
3. Draw a picture for a new stamp. Tell why you chose this picture.
4. What do you like about winter? What do you not like about winter?
5. Write a short poem about a goat with a boat.
6. What song would forest animals like to sing? Why?
7. What place would you like to visit with a friend? Why?
8. You have twelve of the world’s best cookies. Will you eat them or share them, or both? Why?
9. Make a list of things you would like to do next summer.
10. What does your pet lizard like to read?
11. You want to send a letter to your uncle. What will say to him?
12. I just made up a silly new game called Giggle Wriggle. What do you think happens in this game?
Second grade lesson plans - 25 spelling dictation sentences and full instructions. Use a few of these each week to provide students with extra practice in writing, spelling and using spelling words in context.
A Fun Day: 1st grade reading and spelling worksheet - Give your students reading and spelling practice with this customized story. Grades 1-2.
My New Job: Another reading and spelling worksheet for your students to individualize. A fun way to gain language skills! Grades 1-2
Second Grade Vocabulary List 100 more words for primary students to learn and enjoy! Challenge your 2nd grade students with more words to use in their speaking vocabularies. Soon, they will be reading and writing these words, too!