These second grade lesson plans are easy for you and worthwhile for your students! Our simple-to-use dictation sentences will give
students practice in learning important spelling words in context. Students
will need to listen carefully, write at a reasonable pace and spell all the
words correctly. There are a lot of benefits in just one type of lesson!
Here's a peek at page 1 of the printable file. The full text also appears below for the entire lesson.
Give each student a fresh piece of lined paper.
Make sure each child has a sharpened pencil. Then choose five sentences from
the list below for one dictation lesson. Choose sentences in which all the
words are familiar to your sentences. Adjust sentences, if necessary, to suit
your group of students. Words in bold
appear on this list of second grade words.
I am going to read a sentence to you several times. First, listen to the entire sentence carefully. As I repeat the sentence, try to write it correctly on your page. Remember to use correct spellings. Use a capital letter at the beginning of each sentence and a period or a question mark at the end. We will work on five sentences in all today.
1. I have been away from home all day.
2. When will you be
3. I want to call my dad.
4. My family
has a lot of fun.
5. These tricks
are very good.
6. I found a little bug in the yard.
7. May we sing
a silly song?
8. I read a
book about nine rabbits.
9. Why does winter
last so long?
10. We could look under this stone.
11. What animal
lives in the barn?
12. I wish I could write to my brother.
13. Mom said
she would buy us a treat.
14. Put your food on the lunch tray.
15. He gave his pet a large kiss.
16. When you are happy, you have a big grin.
17. Can you jump
all the way home?
18. The goat made
19. I hope you can come to our place.
20. We cannot count
the deer at night.
21. She will rest
by the pool.
22. The child will
take a bath to get clean.
23. Please dress
before you eat.
24. My sister
will be here soon.
25. I think the lion will run fast.
Remember to download the printable file of the entire lesson.
· Ask students to volunteer to write one of their sentences on the board. Or write each one correctly yourself, explaining the spelling and meaning of each word.
· Encourage students to rewrite any sentences that have errors.
· Allow children time to add drawings to their sentences.
Second Grade Spelling Bee Words - Here's a printable list of 100 words, suitable for a classroom competition. It's also a great study list for parents! Words range from easy to challenging.
S.I.P. - Easy-to-teach second grade lesson plans that cover the of capitalization of holidays and brand names. Fits CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.2.2a (Capitalization)
Worksheets for 2nd grade Spelling Words - Fun worksheets provide age-appropriate practice with 2nd grade spelling words. Word search puzzles with frequently misspelled words, fill-in stories, and many more to choose from. Try them all!