Use these 5th grade lesson plans to provide practice in the important skills of listening, writing and spelling. Use these 30 sentences in small batches for best results.
When you run out of sentences, refer to my list of fifth grade spelling words and write more dictation sentences of your own!
Here's a peek at page 1 of the printable file. The full text also appears below for the entire lesson.
Each student needs a fresh sheet of lined paper and a
sharpened pencil with an eraser. Choose eight to ten sentences from the list
below for one dictation lesson. Select sentences in which all the words are
familiar to your sentences. Adjust sentences, if necessary, to suit your group
of students. Words in bold appear on
this list of fifth grade words:
I am going to read a sentence to you several times. First, listen to the entire sentence carefully. As I repeat the sentence, try to write it correctly on your page. Remember to use correct spellings, capitalization and punctuation.
1. I wrote a message to my best friend in my notebook.
2. Make a list of mammal
names with three or more syllables.
3. Perhaps we
should follow the trail in the opposite direction.
4. I did not notice
that there was a problem with my
5. After we climbed halfway up the mountain, we decided it was not a good idea.
6. We all need a good supply of oxygen.
7. Could you please repeat
the tricky word puzzle?
8. My aunt prepared
the best dessert I’ve ever tasted!
9. I checked the spelling of separate in the dictionary.
10. The man understood
the treatment he would receive.
11. The teacher did not permit the young students to go outside in the storm.
12. Many government
offices are located in the nation’s capital
13. What happened
to make your voice sound so hoarse?
14. You always greet people with a pleasant phrase or two.
15. It’s difficult
to grasp an object that is covered
16. My favorite actor stars in interesting films.
17. He plans to wear sandals when he visits the desert.
workers manufacture many important
19. We expect the
mayor will receive an increase in pay.
20. What’s the difference
between an amusement park and a
next year, all eighth graders will
go to an island retreat.
22. This is only a minor problem, and it is not your fault.
23. The captain
allowed no one on the bridge of his
24. Do you know the most common language on the continent
25. The sales clerk straightened
the stack of women’s sweaters.
26. It is not necessary
to take heavy bags on your journey.
27. Mom served hot chocolate
to each guest.
28. The sudden shower
made the roads very slippery.
29. All the
animals were outside, except for the
30. The doctor will check your height and weight.
· Ask students to volunteer to write one of their sentences on the board. Or write each one correctly yourself, explaining the spelling and meaning of each word.
· Encourage students to rewrite any sentences that have errors.
· Allow students time to add drawings to their sentences.
· Use these sentences as prompts for story writing.
I've written two sets of engaging writing prompts, aligned with our fifth grade spelling word list. Use these stimulating prompts anytime throughout the year for fun spelling and writing practice!
Set #1 - Twelve engaging prompts featuring a magic frog act, a birthday surprise, Different Day and nine more!
Set #2 - Twelve more writing prompts for 5th grade, featuring a sneaky mouse in the principal's office, mysterious bubbles and more.
Shoe Shenanigans - Great practice in identifying and correcting misspelled 5th grade spelling words in this story about shopping for shoes.
A Snowy Situation - Give students valuable spelling AND vocabulary practice with this engaging worksheet.
Fun, Flexible Fifth Grade Worksheets - "Fish Net" and "Intersecting Synonyms" provide fun spelling practice with almost any spelling word! Use these again and again in your 5th grade lesson plans!
Think-a-Spell eBook: 365 Brain Teasers and Spelling Challenges for Ages 10 to Adult
NEW! 300 Spelling Bee Words by Grade Level, with definitions, sentences and languages
Spelling Bee Toolboxes for Grades 3/5 and 6/8 All the resources you need for a successful bee!
NEW! The Gigantic Spelling Bee Words & Sentences in 3 volumes. Now available with sentences, definitions & language of origin
Mammoth Spelling Bee Word Lists with sentences, definitions, and languages
Monumental Spelling Bee Word Lists with definitions, sentences and languages
Colossal Spelling Bee Word Lists Definitions, parts of speech & sentences
Young Spellers Spelling Bee Word List for Grades 1 & 2
100 Difficult Spelling Bee Words, Definitions & Sentences Our toughest lists, for upper grades and adults!
600 Spelling Bee Words & Sentences for Gr 3/5 & 6/8 Extra words & sentences at two levels
AnyWord Spelling Practice Series Worksheets, games & prompts that work with almost ANY spelling words!
Fun Spelling Worksheets for Grades 1/2 50 All-new reproducible pages for early learners!