These writing prompts for middle school students will spark lots of creative ideas, and you'll also be providing some fun ways to practice important spelling words. The words in bold on this page also appear in our sixth grade spelling word list.
If you don't require the illustrated printable page, here is the text from this set of writing prompts:
1. Tell about something you did accidentally that turned out really well.
2. What would you
miss most if you had no electricity
for a week?
3. Write three sentences about what it would be like to live in a miniature house.
4. Describe a familiar scent. What does it smell like? What is its source? What does it make you think of?
5. If you could create a new vegetable, what would it look like? How would it taste?
6. Imagine that your assignment as a news reporter is to interview the President of the United States. Write at least 5 questions you would like to ask.
7. Your scissors are lost, but you need to cut out 100 paper snowflakes. How can you do this?
8. Something just happened that is so unbelievable that your parents don’t believe it, and neither does your best friend. Tell what happened!
9. What are better, pumpkins or potatoes? Why?
10. Write three suggestions you would like to make for your school lunch hour.
11. What is the best strategy for teaching your younger sibling to stay out of your bedroom?
12. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Is this a myth or a fact? How do you know?
6th grade worksheets: Our 6th grade worksheets provide a variety of practice in important language skills. This worksheet emphasizes correct spelling AND following directions.
7th grade spelling and vocabulary boosters: Ideas to boost unmotivated students of any middle school grade, all through the year.
8th grade vocabulary and spelling idea: Flexible activity to use with the whole class, all through the year. Works well with all upper grades and any word list.
AnyWord Writing Prompts - Here's a fun collection of original writing prompts that is perfect for middle grade students. They're also a simple way to provide some extra spelling practice! See these Creative Writing Worksheets which are sample pages from this eBook.
AnyWord Spelling Practice Series Fun Worksheets, games & prompts that work with almost ANY spelling words!
Spelling Bee Toolboxes for Grades 3/5 and 6/8 All the resources you need for a successful bee!
101 Word Play Puzzlers Discover the FUN of letters & words as you solve each unique puzzle. Great vocabulary & spelling practice!