To complete these spelling worksheets for grade 3, students will solve spelling, logic and phonics clues to uncover two mystery words. These brain teaser puzzlers are a nice change from the standard worksheet.
Note: Kids will also need to read each clue very carefully!
Here are two fun Mystery Word puzzlers. Try to solve them here following the full text below, or use the printable version. You can also find the answers under the blue button at the bottom of this page.
Mystery Word #1
Spell a 6-letter word using these clues:
1. The last letter of the word is the second vowel in the alphabet.
2. The first letter of the alphabet is the second letter in the mystery word.
3. What is the opposite of short? The first letter of the answer is the 4th letter of the mystery word.
4. Think of the name of a common desert plant. The first letter of that word is also the first letter of the mystery word.
5. The third letter of the mystery word is the first letter of the ninth month of the year.
6. The 5th letter of the word is the letter just before M in the alphabet.
Mystery Word #2
Spell another 6-letter word using these clues:
1. The 3rd letter of the mystery word is the same letter that begins the name of the animal that is similar to a bunny.
2. The 2nd letter of the alphabet is the 4th letter of the mystery word.
3. The last two letters of the mystery word match the last two letters of the 4th month of the year.
4. The second letter is often a silent vowel at the end of words.
5. The first letter of the mystery word sometimes has the same sound as J.
Third grade worksheets - Printable activities to give your students practice with grade-level words. Contractions and calendar words are covered here.
Mystery Words - Here's my first set of printable worksheets with mystery words, especially for kids. Use the same skills as required for the puzzles above. Fun and challenging!
Compound Confusions! - This woodpecker introduces your students to a great compound word challenge! Great vocabulary and spelling practice. For grades 3-5.
Mystery In the Attic Spelling Worksheets: Kids read a humorous story about a mysterious attic as they choose correctly/incorrectly spelled words. For grades 3 - 6.
Elementary worksheets - Swap Sheets™ #1 and #2 - These flexible spelling pages are a brilliant way for students to practice writing their spelling words over and over -- without your instruction! For grades 3- 5.