Worksheets for Kindergarten
...featuring the OT word family
These worksheets for kindergarten will give your early learners practice reading, writing and spelling new words, all from the same word family.
Our latest set of kindergarten worksheets feature word families that are simple for early learners. We've added fun pictures to attract -- and keep -- kids' attention!
Dots on Pots
Directions for use:
Before presenting this worksheet, do some board work with your entire class (or your own child) to introduce the OT word family.
- Teach the sound made by the letters OT.
- Focus on just one letter at a time that may precede OT. Say the word made by adding this consonant. For early learners, stick with single consonants. Form the words DOT, HOT, JOT, LOT, NOT, POT, ROT (Later you can add words with consonant blends.)
- Be sure kids understand the meaning of each word you spell. Write the words on the board. Ask a student to come to the board and add one of the consonants to -ot. Ask her/him to say the new word s/he just spelled.
- When your students have a good understanding of these words, pass out "Dots on Pots" printable worksheet.
- Read the first sentence together: "The dot on this pot is hot." Tell students to circle the words that are underlined in that sentence.
- Next, tell kids to write the missing words in the blanks of the second sentence.
- Repeat for the second sentence, "The dot on this pot is not hot."
Over the next few days, remind students of the OT words they've learned. Have brief oral "pop quizzes" in which you ask, "Who can name an OT word? Can you spell the word? Can you say the word in a sentence?"
Make a word wall display of OT words.
Add more OT words to your list: COT, GOT, PLOT, SLOT, SPOT, TROT, and ROBOT.
Start a group story with this sentence: A robot named Spot...
Use these Word Family Worksheets for Kindergarten and booklet templates so your students can practice spelling any word family anytime! Complete instruction included when you follow the link.
More Worksheets for Kindergarten
Here are more kindergarten worksheets that follow a similar format with different word families.
This Man - This worksheet for kindergarten features the AN words man, ran, fan, and pan. (Just why did the man run from the fan???)
The Big Pigs - This whimsical page features a muddy pig with a wig, and pig that does a jig. What a fun way to learn the IG family of words!
The Bugs - Another fun word family page of bugs on rugs with mugs!
NEW! The Pet Jet - A kindergarten writing worksheet featuring words from the ET family. After a classroom discussion, kids can write or finish their own story about an interesting picture.
Animal Paths - Kindergartners follow three animal paths to find three animals. On each path, they'll find the letters needed to spell each animal name! Also try more animal paths with three new animals!