Printable Kindergarten Worksheets
...featuring the AN word family
Our printable kindergarten worksheets will give your early learners valuable practice in reading, writing and spelling new words.
We've chosen some easy word families and words that kindergartners will understand. We've built these words into fun, attractive reproducible pages.
Directions for use:
Before presenting this worksheet, do some board work with your entire class (or your own child) to introduce the AN word family.
- Teach the sound made by the letters AN.
- Focus on just one letter at a time that may precede AN. Say the word made by adding this consonant. For early learners, stick with single consonants. Form the words FAN, MAN, PAN, and RAN. (Later you can add words with consonant blends.)
- Be sure kids understand the meaning of each word you spell. Write the words on the board. Ask a student to come to the board and add one of the consonants to -an. Ask her/him to say the new word s/he just spelled.
- When your students have a good understanding of these words, pass out "This Man" printable worksheet.
- Read the first sentence together: "This man ran from the fan." Tell students to circle the words that are underlined in that sentence.
- Next, tell kids to write the missing words in the blanks of the second sentence.
- Repeat for the second sentence, "This man has a pan."
Over the next few days, remind students of the AN words they've learned. Have brief oral "pop quizzes" in which you ask, "Who can name an IG word? Can you spell the word? Can you say the word in a sentence?"
Make a word wall display of AN words.
Add more AN words to your list: can, tan, plan, bran, etc.
Use these Word family worksheet & booklet templates so your students can practice spelling any word family anytime! Complete instruction included when you follow the link.
Try another worksheet for kindergarten!
Here are two more kindergarten worksheet that follow this same pattern but with different word families. Your kids will love 'em!
The Bugs - One bug dug in the mud. Another bug drinks from a mug on the rug. What better way to learn the -ug word family?
The Big Pigs - This whimsical page features a muddy pig with a wig, and pig that does a jig.
Literacy Worksheets for Early Learners: 3 fun reproducibles your kids can customize.
Dolch Word Games for Kids: - Dolch word games can help beginning readers have fun while they practice reading important words. This game from my other website is especially helpful for students who need to work on visual discrimination.
K-1 phonics worksheets - 5 free worksheets provide practice with simple short vowel words. Here's a peek at part of one of the pages. Each page is bit different. Students get lots of printing practice with easy words.
Kindergarten Worksheets - AN Words