A Worksheet for Kindergarten Spelling
...featuring the UG word family
This cute worksheet for kindergarten will give your youngsters practice learning new words by reading, writing and spelling them.
Our latest set of kindergarten worksheets feature word families that are simple for early learners. We've added fun pictures to attract -- and keep -- kids' attention!
Directions for use:
Before presenting this worksheet, do some board work with your entire class (or your own child) to introduce the IG word family.
- Teach the sound made by the letters UG.
- Focus on just one letter at a time that may precede IG. Say the word made by adding this consonant. For early learners, stick with single consonants. Form the words BUG, DUG, MUG, RUG (Later you can add words with consonant blends.)
- Be sure kids understand the meaning of each word you spell. Write the words on the board. Ask a student to come to the board and add one of the consonants to -ug. Ask her/him to say the new word s/he just spelled.
- When your students have a good understanding of these words, pass out "The Bugs" printable worksheet.
- Read the first sentence together: "This bug dug in the mud." Tell students to circle the words that are underlined in that sentence.
- Next, tell kids to write the missing words in the blanks of the second sentence.
- Repeat for the second sentence, "This bug drinks from a mug on the rug."
Over the next few days, remind students of the UG words they've learned. Have brief oral "pop quizzes" in which you ask, "Who can name an UG word? Can you spell the word? Can you say the word in a sentence?"
Make a word wall display of UG words.
Add more UG words to your list: hug, jug, lug, plug, slug
Use these Word family worksheet & booklet templates so your students can practice spelling any word family anytime! Complete instruction included when you follow the link.
Try another worksheet for kindergarten!
Here are two more kindergarten worksheet that follow this same pattern but with different word families. Your kids will love 'em!
This Man - This worksheet for kindergarten features the AN words man, ran, fan, and pan. (Just why did the man run from the fan???)
The Big Pigs - This whimsical page features a muddy pig with a wig, and pig that does a jig. What a fun way to learn the IG family of words!
My New Job: Another reading and spelling worksheet for your early learner to individualize. What a fun way to gain language skills! These are also fun to illustrate.
K-1 phonics worksheets - 5 free worksheets provide practice with simple short vowel words. Here's a peek at part of one of the pages. Each page is bit different. Students get lots of printing practice with easy words.
Kindergarten Worksheets - UG Words