Free for You!
It's hard to beat these kindergarten worksheets free for home and school use. That's right! You don't need to pay or register to use our huge assortment of valuable learning resources.
Our latest set of kindergarten worksheets feature word families that are simple for early learners. We've added fun pictures to each page that will keep youngsters interested.
The Big Pigs
Directions for use:
Before presenting this worksheet, do some board work with your entire class (or your own child) to introduce the IG word family.
- Teach the sound made by the letters IG.
- Focus on just one letter at a time that may precede IG. Say the word made by adding this consonant. For early learners, stick with single consonants. Form the words BIG, DIG, JIG, PIG, WIG. (Later you can add words with consonant blends.)
- Be sure kids understand the meaning of each word you spell. Write the words on the board. Ask a student to come to the board and add one of the consonants to ig. Ask her/him to say the new word s/he just spelled.
- When your students have a good understanding of these words, pass out "The Big Pigs" printable worksheet.
- Read the first sentence together: "This big pig wears a wig." Tell students to circle the words that are underlined in that sentence.
- Next, tell kids to write the missing words in the blanks of the second sentence.
- Repeat for the second sentence, "This big pig does a jig."
Over the next few days, remind students of the IG words they've learned. Have brief oral "pop quizzes" in which you ask, "Who can name an IG word? Can you spell the word? Can you say the word in a sentence?"
Make a word wall display of IG words.
Add more IG words to your list: fig, gig, rig, twig
Use these Word family worksheet & booklet templates so your students can practice spelling any word family anytime! Complete instruction included when you follow the link.
More Kindergarten Worksheets Free, Of Course !
Here are more kindergarten worksheets free for you, that follow this same pattern but with different word families. Your kids will love 'em!
This Man - This kindergarten worksheet features the AN words man, ran, fan, and pan.
The Bugs - This whimsical page features a bug who dug in the mud and a bug who drinks from a mug on a rug.
NEW! The Pet Jet - A kindergarten writing worksheet featuring words from the ET family. After a classroom discussion, kids can write or finish their own story about an interesting picture.
Dots on Pots - One dot on a pot is hot. The other is not. Kids look at the pictures and finish the sentences with OT words.
Literacy Worksheets for Early Learners: 3 fun reproducibles your kids can customize.
Circle Sounds 1: Fun circle maze featuring words that begin with B. Kids need to find the right pictures then color their way through the maze.
Circle Sounds 2: Another fun page, this time featuring words that begin with P.