If you like logic brain teasers riddles or word games, here's a great activity for you! Find links to find lots more puzzlers at the bottom of the page.
teasers are especially good to use in the classroom.
Why? Because they require students to use critical thinking skills that
aren't always stretched in routine classroom exercises. The teasers
we've written require students to read directions
carefully and then draw upon their knowledge of spelling and
vocabulary. Of course, these are also fun to solve on your own, outside of class!
To successfully complete this page, you'll need to select the correct letter for each of the nine clues. Note: There will be several possible answers for each clue, but you'll need to select the right combination of letters to spell the two-word answer.
For an extra challenge, we've also included a trivia question. All answers appear on the printable page.
Here's the text from the printable page:
1. The first letter is in FORD but not in COOLIDGE. _____
2. The second letter is in NIXON but not in JACKSON. _____
3. The third letter is in MONROE but not in MADISON. _____
4. The fourth letter is in BUSH but not in BUCHANAN. _____
5. The fifth letter is in TRUMAN but not in VAN BUREN. _____
6. The sixth letter is in LINCOLN but not in JACKSON. _____
7. The seventh letter is in REAGAN but not in PIERCE. _____
8. The eighth letter is in ADAMS but not in WASHINGTON. _____
9. The ninth letter is in HAYES but not in HOOVER. _____
Do you know which president did not have one of these?
Did you figure out the answer? Print out the page and answers, or check your work below:
Brain Teasers for Adults & Upper Grade Students - Two REALLY difficult letters with hidden messages. Good spelling skills are the key to uncovering them!
Questions and Answers - Quick word transformations,
brainstorming and word play challenges
An Impossible Brain Teaser? - Sure, the directions are tricky, but adults and upper grade students can solve this the first time, right?
Travel Teaser -
One of our most difficult logic brain teasers. Can you figure out who
went where and when?
Hidden Words - Put your logic skills to the test on this entertaining word brain teaser. How long will it take you to discover three hidden words?
Multiple-meaning jokes and riddles - Light-hearted word fun! A great way to practice language skills.