Here's a simple idea for boosting 9th grade vocabulary and spelling skills that you can use anytime throughout the year, with any words.
Your students can even help create the 9th grade vocabulary assignments!
This activity asks students to do two things:
To create this activity:
1. Make a list of 10-15 words that you want students to practice.
2. Write each word correctly and incorrectly in a word box on the board or on a worksheet.
3. Write a sentence that uses each word correctly, but omit the vocabulary word.
Here's an example of words and sentences you might use, with words from our list of 9th grade spelling words.
citadel/citidel impass/impasse hinderance/hindrance chasm/kasm dexterous/dextrous exageration/exaggeration
1. The negotiations between the workers and the owners came to an _________________.
2. A deep _________ separated the rescuers from the stranded hikers.
3. The ____________ provided great protection for the citizenry.
4. A driving rainstorm was a serious ________ to the ambulance driver.
5. The advertiser's claim about the benefits of the diet program proved to be a huge _________________.
6. It takes a ________________ hand to operate this delicate machinery.
1. impasse 2.chasm 3. citadel 4. hindrance 5. exaggeration 6. dexterous
I'm so glad you asked!
You'll have enough material to make up to 10 worksheets, and your main jobs have been only to organize and type/write the information!
Cryptogram Worksheet: Puzzle page for upper grades. Includes instructions so students, parents or teachers can make more cryptogram puzzles with any word list.
Antonym Antics - Vocabulary worksheet featuring antonyms and spelling. It's a unique format for your upper level students.
"Ex" Marks the Spot - Another great vocab worksheet upper grades.
So N "ICE" to Know You!: All the answers on this vocab page contain the letters ICE.
Try some of these challenging brain teasers with your upper grade students!
You may also find these word lists to be helpful. If you students can master the spellings of these words, they will be stronger writers.
Difficult English Spelling Word Lists
Think-a-Spell eBook: 365 Brain Teasers and Spelling Challenges for Ages 10 to Adult
101 Word Play Puzzlers Discover the FUN of letters & words as you solve each unique puzzle. Great vocabulary & spelling practice!