Here are some fun, quick-thinking brain teasers with answers that include lots of spelling and vocabulary practice. These twelve questions are presented and explained in four different sections. You can find more slightly more difficult versions of similar brain teasers here.
Here’s how you can change the word DOG to CAT by changing just one letter at time: DOG, DOT, COT, CAT
1. Change PIG to HEN in the same way. Be sure to spell read words each time. (Please note that there may be many different ways to solve these puzzlers.)
2. Now change BAT to FOX by changing one letter at a time. Be sure to spell real words.
3. Now change SHOE to BOOT.
4. For a more difficult challenge, change HEAT to COLD.
The words sun, shoe, flee rhyme with three words often used together: one, two, three.
5. Write a set of three related words that rhyme with chop, hip, bump.
6. Write a set of three related words that rhyme with label, wear, slouch.
7. Find a set of three related words that rhyme with many, pickle, slime. Be sure to spell each one correctly.
If you change the w in want to a k and then rearrange the letters kant, you can spell tank, one form of transportation. Now change one letter in each of these words and rearrange the letters to spell more kinds of transportation.
Here are just two more brain teasers with answers. Spell a food using only letters in the name of each city. You do not need to use all the letters, and you may change the order of the letters.
11. CAROLEEN (North Carolina)
12. KIMBALL (Nebraska)
NEW! - Fun Brain Teasers for Students These fun brain teasers will check your students' spelling and vocabulary skills. They’ll also tickle their funny bones!
More Easy Brain Teaser Questions - Are they all really easy for you? More word play fun with lots of spelling topics.
Mystery Words - Printable worksheets, especially for kids. They'll need to carefully read the directions, use critical thinking skills and spelling skills to find the mystery words. Fun and challenging!
Multiple-meaning jokes and riddles - Light-hearted word fun! What a great way to practice language skills!
Hilarious Homonyms - More word play riddles featuring words that sound the same but have different spellings and meanings. Great practice for students!
NEW! - First Two Letters - The first two letters to every answer in this list of brain teasers are either supplied or partially revealed. You only need to finish spelling the words. This should be easy -- right?
AnyWord Spelling Practice Series Worksheets, games & prompts that work with almost ANY spelling words!
Fun Spelling Worksheets for Grades 1/2 50 All-new reproducible pages for early learners!
101 Word Play Puzzlers Discover the FUN of letters & words as you solve each unique puzzle. Great vocabulary & spelling practice!